This is what I had for breakfast today:
This is Amurika, and it’s the 4th of July. Hell yeah, I had a burger at 8:30 am.
Now, since I’m not on a diet, there is no such thing as breaking the rules. There is no “cheat day.” Every day, I live my life and try make the best choices I can (while not being a total downer about it.) The boyfriend and I, rather than using “self-control” and feeling deprived, get creative and excited about how to make awesome food that is packed with the best nutritional value possible.
Here’s how Chef B’Friend made our Guilt-Free Red, White, and Blue Cheese Veggie Burgers:
- Dr. Praeger’s Meatless All American Burger (I usually like to make my own veggie-burger patties out of nuts, but it’s a holiday! Let’s live a little!)
- Sprouted Whole Grain Burger Buns by Food for Life. Or just find something that has some kind of seed (sesame) and no high-fructose corn syrup.
- Lettuce (I’m telling you, grow it or get it from the farmers market. It’s SO good.)
- Tomato (Farmers market, organic, and/or heirloom… there is nothing worse than a flavorless tomato from PathMart.)
- Vegenaise (Don’t use regular Mayo. I swear you won’t even miss it!)
- Organic Ketchup (no high-fructose corn syrup)
- Home-made Cole Slaw (red cabbage, green cabbage, carrots, olive oil, lemon, white wine vinegar, capers, and Vegenaise.)
- Blue Cheese (Only a little… the flavor is intense!)
- Pickle Chips (Optional. Try to get a natural pickle without that horrible “Yellow 5” ingredient.)
How to cook it:
- Whack the patties on the pan (Olive Oil the pan beforehand with heat.)
- Chop the veggies.
- Prepare the bottom bun with Vegenaise, ketchup, mustard, onions, and pickles.
- Once patties are browning on both sides, pop some blue cheese on them for a few minutes.
- Take patties out of the pan and place them on the bun party you’ve created.
- Add avocado, lettuce, and the rest of the fillers in-between the patty and the top bun.
- Plate and garnish with a simple salad and some potato wedges.
- Sing “God Bless America” and eat.
Happy Independence Day! Let’s all be healthy and safe while we watch fireworks explode into the atmosphere.
(follow Chef B’Friend’s Instagram to see all the amazing things he makes/I eat.)