I’ve been stuck being a bit inactive after a quad injury from teaching Zumba last Monday. It has been absolutely frustrating. I could do arms Tuesday morning, but then found myself needing to rest for the last part of the week to heal up.
Finally, after the quad fully healed, I was able to get to the gym this Sunday with my boyfriend. We both did a separate cardio warm-up for ten minutes, then I created four circuits that we went through three times. At the end, he took me through some free-weight arm and shoulder stuff that I felt totally badass doing because I was wearing my lady gym-gloves.
Here’s the workout plan:
- Ten minute cardio on the treadmill (two minute job followed by one minute fast run with one minute jog recovery for the rest of the time.)
- First Circuit: 10 medicine ball twist crunches, 10 jump-up/step downs on 2ft tall box, 30 kettlebell swings, 10 burpees (3 sets, one minute recovery period in-between.)
- Second Circuit: 20 medicine ball wood-chops (10 each side), 20 one-legged lunges with medicine ball in overhead press (10 each side), 20 overhead tricep extensions, moving lunges to the end of the room and back (3 sets, one minute recovery period in-between.)
- Third Circuit: 20 kettlebell side-lifts (10 each side), 10 squats to 2ft box and up, 10 throws and 10 balancing catches with a 10lb Dynamax Medicine Ball (He throws the big medicine ball at me while I’m balancing on Bosu 10 times, then we switch. We try to throw it to different sides and heights to mix it up.) (3 sets, one minute recovery period in-between.)
- Fourth Circuit: 8 crunches with flexed heels on floor (this protects your hip flexors), 8 crunches R leg up, 8 crunches L leg up, 8 crunches both legs up (flexed feet), 10 lower-abdominal raises with straight legs. (3 sets with one minute recovery.)
- 10 15lb flies on a flat bench (3 sets,) 10 15lb overhead-press on an incline (3 sets,) and 17.5lb pull-overs balancing with just upper back on a flat bench (3 sets.)
As you can imagine, I was quite sore.
Then, Monday, I ran a few miles just to get some cardio back.
Grar. I still gained a pound. It’s because I had wine over the Memorial Day weekend, and probably had too much last night after watching the Grizzlies get knocked out of the Conference Finals.
That’s pretty convincing. I didn’t eat irresponsibly, but I did drink too much wine. And the half-week injury rest didn’t help.
Wine = Weight.